- Education – Basic Medical Degree recognised by the Dubai Healthcare City.
- Completion of a recognised higher professional education programme.
- Certification of higher professional education recognised by the Dubai Healthcare City: FRCS plus CCST in ophthalmology, or American Board Certification, or FRCPC, or FRACP or Equivalent recognised by the Dubai Healthcare City.
- Experience – Minimum of five years experience since gaining the higher qualification.
- Minimum of three years Consultant experience in a Western setting is desirable.
- Demonstrated commitment to continuing medical education.
- Appropriate experience and competence in all aspects of ophthalmology and expertise in Vitreo-retinal Surgery.
- Personal – Leadership skills appropriate for a highly functioning clinical team.
- Ability to communicate effectively with patients, families, nurses, doctors and other staff.
- Ability to project a positive public image of self, department and Center.
- Desirable requirements – Publication in peer reviewed journals.
- Fluency in Arabic is desirable.
- Provides ophthalmological care according to assigned patients to current best-evidence based standards, using best judgement at all times and in accordance with The City Hospital Medical Staff Bylaws and Rules and Regulations.
- Participates equitably in the on-call roster.
- Participates in the oversight and professional development of junior medical staff in the Center.
- Participates in the educational activities of the Medical Staff as a whole.
- Conducts clinical audit in line with Medical Advisory Committee requirements.
- Participates in review and planning activities relevant to the development of the department and the Hospital.
- Participates in activities and opportunities to promote the department and the Center to the general public and wider medical community of Dubai and the UAE.
- Fulfills professional requirements for continuing maintenance of competence in all aspects of ophthalmology.
- Carries out other assigned duties within the appropriate scope of knowledge, skills and abilities of the position.
- The post holder is responsible for providing comprehensive consultant level patient care in ophthalmology, with special emphasis on anterior segment work.
- This responsibility is shared with the other specialist/consultant ophthalmologists in the hospital.
- Liaises with: Patients, families, medical staff, nursing staff, other clinical staff, referring doctors.